Day 33: Blue Lake to Prairie Creek Redwoods State Park

We left Chris’ early and went into town to check out the local cafe, which we heard had fresh baked muffins every morning. Walking in it was surprising to see a guy inside with his guitar playing American folk music.  He was really good, but seemed to be a travelling musician who was not used to playing in front of people. He said he was learning how to take compliments, and hid his face behind his guitar when someone tried to take his photo. We spent a while here watching people coming and going, and watching as it seemed like the locals delivered their fresh baked goods for the day.

Eventually it was time to get going, so we took the same nice quiet road towards Astoria, then continued on backroads toward the town of Trinidad. Just before arriving in Trinidad we passed a beautiful beach which we spent a few minutes looking down at. In Trinidad we went to the Beachcomers Cafe. it had many interesting sandwich options and seemed to be owned and run by a group of fairly young women.  They were swamped when we arrived so we waited a little while for our food, but the quality was great and we weren’t in a rush so the wait was no problem.

We had a very long afternoon break, during which we spoke with a couple from Washington who invited us to stay with them when we pass by. With 30km to go, we eventually left late in the afternoon to find the campground. In Orik we stocked up on snacks, and discovered our 30km was actually 40km.

There were many signs warning of elk in the area, and specifically as we entered the park that the campground is located in.  We saw many small deer in the fields as we approached, which made me wonder if perhaps elk looked a lot like deer as babies. As we reached the campground I saw they had 4 or 5 large plastic elk animals lined up so we could see what they really looked like. However, watching for a few moments I realized they weren’t plastic but the real thing. And those animals we saw in the fields certainly weren’t elk.

The elk were very calm and not too bothered by the humans present around them. We did have to wait as they moved slowly ahead of us so we could reach our campground. We didn’t want to disturb them too much. Eventually we were able to reach our camp and setup.  The later sunset and open area of our site allowing for later and more relaxing evenings.

  • Why did the elk cry at the funeral? He had lost a deer friend